Thursday, November 15, 2007

Memorizing Scripture

In my years since having children, I have been extremely disappointed in my ability to memorize scripture. But a few months back I saw a blog about Scripture Memorization with a really neat video on a guy quoting scripture as if he was actually the one delivering the orginal sermon recorded in scripture. Read and Watch This Video - It is incredible.

I put into practice with the girls memorizing passages instead of single verses. I have really seen a difference with Micah and I being able to learn scripture. For those of you with younger children, know that Gabriella loves listening to us do this. She always gets a huge smile on her face and watches us with big shiny eyes.

Micah is also learning a lot of scripture through CBS. If you have young children and have the time to get involved in CBS - I highly suggest it. It is one of the best preschool programs that I have seen on getting kids to memorize scripture.


In the last 3-4 months Micah and I have learned these scriptures through this method. I know it does not seem like a lot - but it is a lot better than I was doing.

Ephesians 6:1-4 (Gabriella has the word "honor" down when we say this verse).

Psalm 139:14 (I know it is only one verse - but we did this because Micah seemed to be struggling with wanting to always be Gabriella and she never wanted to be herself. So we learned this verse to reinforce how special she was.)

Psalm 95:1-5 (We are trying to see how much we can get memorized before Thanksgiving. Micah and I are also trying to learn the verse before Daddy does. I am not doing as well as I would like - but Micah can just start saying parts of it - and is doing way better than I am. )

Through CBS Micah has learned many verses in the last couple of years. They put memory verses to nursery rhyme tunes. I still have to sing the song to get the scripture and verse correct, but Micah does not have to sing it - she can just say it.

Since my children can remember nursery rhymes and little songs like that with out any effort -I see it as prime time to be getting these scriptures ingrained in them. I truly see how they are little sponges soaking up anything I give them. So I want to feed them as much TRUTH as I can.

2 comments:

Brad and Lauren Holmes said...

I am really blessed by reading what you are doing with your two girls!? It inspires me. May I ask what version you use of the Bible? All we have in our household right now are the NIV and King James versions. Also, I am curious to know what you think about the Message too?

Shala said...

We use the NKJV and the NASB in our home. When I really started reading the Bible in Jr. High & High School I started with KJV and then went to the NIV. I learned a lot with all the versions. I do feel that the NKJV and NASB are the more accurate versions that are easy for me and the children to understand versus the KJV. I will still use the NIV at times but feel that there are several discrepancies.
Check out this link about different Bible Translations.

http://www.genderneutralbibles.com/seven.php

As far as the Message goes . . . . even the author of the Message says that it is a paraphrase and not a translation. It's fine to read it as if you were reading a novel, but it has no authority and is not what we would memorize scripture from.

Maybe one day I will get around to posting one of the reasons that I feel so strongly about the importance of us and our children memorizing passages of scriptures vs a little verse here and there.