Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Saving Money While Cooking

As we all know the prices of groceries seem to be going up, and up, and up. I am always trying to think of new ways to save money. I found this tip and thought I would share with you. I have begun using powdered milk for all baking and cooking needs. The website I found suggested using it for drinking. I could not get past the smell. I was also nearly out of milk one day before nap time so tried putting half powdered and half fresh milk together to give the girls. That did not go over well. But it is always something you could try if you would like to. On the site where I got the idea, the lady said her and her kids thought it tasted just fine.

So, though we could not stand drinking it, I have used it in cooking oatmeal, mac-n-cheese, breakfast casseroles, and breads - to name a few. I can not tell the difference and normally I can spot fake from a mile away. Potatoes for instance - I can not stand most powdered potatoes - and I can always tell that they are not the real thing. So, to make things more simple while cooking, I just keep a couple of cups of powdered milk mixed up in my fridge so that it is just as easy as reaching for the fresh stuff. Since powdered milk is half the price of the cheapest fresh milk - I think it is really worth the extra 1-2 min. it takes me to get the stuff out and mix it up. For those of you who just like to use organic - I even noticed that you can buy organic powdered milk.

Have any other ideas on how to save money while cooking? Please share with me because I am all ears.

2 comments:

jenna said...

I am not an expert on this, but I like buying in bulk - it might not save as much money, but it definitely saves time, which in my opinion is worth more than money.

I have heard about the powdered milk thing... although, Colby has a (newly discovered) milk allergy, so we are having to buy rice milk and soy milk (think: cha-ching!) but then diluting with water. We might only be drinking water soon.

Sorry for all the random comments. ha!

Shala said...

Jenna,

That stinks about Colby's allergy.

So when you talk about buying milk in bulk - what exactly do you mean by that and where can you do it at?