Monday, May 21, 2007

"My Shirt Got Wet Last Week"

Today, Micah went out to play in her sandbox. I went outside to make sure that there was nothing in the yard that was going to harm her, and then came back in to do some dusting. After a few minutes, I looked up to see a completely nude little girl slowly making her way to the back door. I asked her what she was doing, and she told me her clothes got wet. So, I went to the sandbox to pick up her clothes and put them back on her because I knew she was going to continue to get her clothes wet while she played in the wet sandbox. When I picked up the shirt, I decided it was too wet - she apparently found a toy that had some water in it and spilled it all over her. So, I started to head inside to get her some dry clothes and she tells me, "My Shirt got wet last week."

Now, I must clue you in on that is how she expresses past tense. Previously, when she would say, "last week" it at least was something that happened several hours previously - not just two minutes before. But then later today, her past tense lingo changed once again. After Micah and Gabriella had their nap today, Micah told me "Gabriella poo pooed last year." What she was really telling me was that Gabriella had poo pooed after lunch. There had just been about four hours from the time Gabriella had a BM till Micah wanted to reflect upon it - so in her little world four hours is equivalent to last year and two minutes ago is equal to last week.

No comments: